Re: RAID-1 to RAID-5 online migration?

At 03:35 PM 9/6/04 +0200, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
>For writing, RAID5 tends to be noticeably slower than RAID1, especially for
>writes smaller than stripe size, because a write actually is a
>read-recompute-write cycle.

If ur looking for a fast RAID product that's reasonably priced I'ld take a
look at NetCell's SyncRAID product (http://www.netcell.com/) which uses a 64
bit RAID-3 variant they call RAID XL.  It got a good review from Tom's
Hardware Guide and it looks like they've really solved the read-calc-write
problem of RAID-5.

--
REMEMBER THE WORLD TRADE CENTER         ---=< WTC 911 >=--
"...ne cede males"

00000100