DHCP and Pt-Pt DSL links?

Hi all,

In running up a new DSL connection today, I came across an "interesting"
situation w.r.t. DHCP and point-to-point links.

The planned implementation is to have the Netgear DG632 ADSL modem do
the PPPoA but pass (by DHCP) the single fixed-IP address to the Linux
box on the ethernet (this is the gateway/firewall).  I.e. the modem is
doing the PPPoA but bridging the IP.

This appears to be confounded by the PPP link having its remote endpoint
not in the same network as the local endpoint.  So when the ADSL modem
responds to the DHCP request it supplies a local address in one network
but has (and I assume provides via the DHCP "routers" attribute) a
gateway which is in a completely different subnet.  The result is that
the interface on the Linux box (FWIW, Debian "sarge", using ISC
dhclient) is configured with the correct local address but no default
gateway.

OTOH, if we use static configuration of the ethernet interface and set it
up as a point-to-point ethernet link all works OK - but we're figuring
this isn't really a cool long-term proposal as it obviously won't pick
up any changes in the ISP-assigned attributes (e.g. gateway, DNS
servers).

Anyone know if either:

(a) We're flogging a dead horse in trying to use DHCP like this?

(b) There's a way of getting DHCP to configure pt-pt ethernet?

Thanks,
Neale.