Console on serial

I got a headless server running Sarge, where i have configured init to
launch a getty on ttyS0 like this in /etc/inittab:
T1:S12345:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 38400 linux

This have worked just fine, connecting with minicom from a workstation.
But when /var became nearly full, and i changed to init 1 to move /var
to a larger partition, my console shut down.

The script /etc/init.d/single kills all processes, then switches to
single user mode, and executes the line "~~:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin" in
inittab but not the getty on the serial console. I have read the
manpages init and inittab, and can't see why my entry fails to start.
__
Frode Haugsgjerd
Norway