managing syslog

Hello all,

I am sorry to have to ask this here - it seems like it just should be
working, but it's not, and I am now starting to get frustrated.

At work we have several machines that output a lot of garbage to syslog,
most of which we don't need to see.  The programs responsible for the
garbage are also capable of sending admin emails for alerts, so I thought
that a nice idea might be to have syslog log all of the messages to a
seperate file that we don't logcheck, and look them over if there's an
email or a problem (don't worry - these are non-mission critical type
apps, and are not network accessible, so I am not too worried about
missing a message for a little while).

I can configure the loglevel that the apps log to, fortunately, but it
doesn't seem to be working correctly.  So, if I am logging to syslog
level local7, I add this to syslog.conf as the first uncommented line:

local7.*  /var/log/noisy.log

and hup syslog.  I now see the messages from the apps in noisy.log, but
I still see the chatter in syslog :(  Does anyone see anything obviously
wrong with this, to help save me from tearing hair out?

Thanks,
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |