Re: New Debian net install on a SATA server?

Good Morning!

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:33:25 -0600 Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> wrote:
> RAID != Backup!!!
> RAID = if you write bad data to one disk, you get it everywhere.
> Backup = If you write bad data to a disk, you can roll back to it.

Full ack - re-reading my post I found that I missed deleting the first
half of the cited mail. My post should have read in short:

	RAID for backup (1st half)? - NO! Definitely no.

	Use RSYNC (2nd half) - yes, but (only if) to remote servers

Sorry if that lead to confusion...

> On Aug 23, 2004, at 7:07 AM, Volker Tanger wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:00:37 -0500 "Penbrock"
> > <penbrock@penbrock.com> wrote:
> >> 	For backups is RAID the best way to go? For this server it is
> >> 	more important to be able to restore the data then to have the
> >> 	system back up and running in seconds. I hear allot of people
> >> 	saying to just make the second drive an image of the first and
> >> 	then run an hourly cron job to copy the/home/ directories?
> >
> > yes - best locally *AND* to "warm standby" backup servers (placed at
> > different locations spread over the campus) that is mirroring the
> > data and performing its own backup.
> >
> > See http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ for ideas of
> > HD-based backup/mirror.

Bye