Re: IDS

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Tinus Nijmeijers wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 19:57, Dan MacNeil wrote:
> > > I also want to use something like tripwire to set up file intregity.
> >
> > 	apt-cache search tripwire
> > 	apt-cache show aide
> >
> I know, and, as I mentioned, they both seem OLD.

I believe the version of Aide in the package system is software libre
which the current version of tripwire is not.

Old != bad.  Some projects actually finish, reach maturity. DWhen was the
last time the source code for ls was updated ?

> can I assume that no-one here uses a file-integrity checker?

I do, but in a half assed sloppy useless way. We rebuild our servers from
scratch (using a checklist) periodically. The next go around, I'm hoping
to pay attention.

I keep trying to inch toward actually using aide because it was what
allowed debian.

It is a pain in the ass, but what motivates me is the knowledge that this
year when debian.org and gnu.org were cracked, the problem was discovered
by aide.