Re: how to relocate servers transparently

On Monday 14 June 2004 11:16, Andreas John wrote:
> Hello!

> apt-cache show rinetd
> Package: rinetd

Yep, rinetd is a simple userspace proxy. I used it for a while, but it had a
few unpleasant 'features' I didn't like (we were using dynamic DNS with it,
so I expect you wouldn't encounter them)

Once our 'remote points' were static IPs, I switched to using 'netcat'
instead.

Now we can create a quick TCP proxy by simply adding a line to inetd.conf:

12345    stream  tcp     nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/bin/nc 1.2.3.4 5678

So, any incoming TCP connection to the machine on port 12345 will then be
proxied to remote host 1.2.3.4 on port 5678 :)

(If you specify a port number in inetd.conf, you don't need to create a
matching service name in /etc/services)

Cheers,
Gavin.