Re: reject non-enlish email body messages

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 01:45:46AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> ..how far do we wanna push it; reject all html, attachments, weird
> wintendoencoding, non-english charactersets?
> ..will allowing allowing ascii, iso8859-1 and utf-8 and
> rejecting everything else be tight enough?

I'd think the following might be worthy of consideration for

- Do not send spam
- Send all of your e-mails in English. Only use other languages on
mailing lists where that is explicitly allowed  (e.g. French on
- Make sure that you are using the proper list. In particular, don't  send
user-related questions to developer-related mailing lists.
- Wrap your lines at 80 characters or less for ordinary  discussion. Lines
longer than 80 characters are acceptable  for computer-generated output
(e.g., ls -l).
- Do not send automated "out-of-office" or "vacation" messages.
- Do not send subscription or unsubscription requests to the list  address
itself; use the respective -request address instead.
- Never send your messages in HTML; use plain text instead.
- Avoid sending large attachments.
- When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
- If you send messages to lists to which you are not subscribed, always
note that fact in the body of your message.
- Do not use foul language; besides, some people receive the lists  via
packet radio, where swearing is illegal.
- Try not to flame; it is not polite.

Taken from the mailing list Code of Conduct posted at :

+ It's simply not       | John Keimel            +
+ RFC1149 compliant!    | john@keimel.com        +
+                       | http://www.keimel.com  +