Re: debian on HP proliant

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:29:36AM +1000, Donovan Baarda wrote:

> > > The network installer for sarge detects the t3 gig-ethernet adaptor
> > > automagically. --We're moving to Sarge now.
> >
> > This is true, but d-i doesn't support booting off the SmartArray
> > because the cciss driver is a module.  I already installed onto a
> > DL360, but couldn't install a bootblock.
>
> I thought the point of initrd was that everything didn't need to be
> compiled into the kernel, not even the root device. I suspect tweaking
> the initrd image is all that would be required for a stock kernel to
> boot. Add the module to /etc/mkinitrd/modules and re-build the initrd
> image. Installing a standard kernel package should build the initrd
> image for you.

I'm not a d-i expert so I don't know why it didn't work, but I do know
that d-i was unable to install grub or lilo.  Given the error messages
I got (something about "Can't determine BIOS drive number for
/dev/cciss/disc0/disc") I figured this had something to do with the
module vs. compiled in.  If there's no boot block, it really doesn't
matter what's in the kernel or initrd (the initrd was built correctly
BTW).

The machine is up and running fine now and grub installed without a
hitch.  I compiled my own kernel and linked in cciss.  I used boot
floppy with my new kernel to get over the hurdle of the inital reboot
btween "I'm installing off the CD" and "I'm downloading actual debs to
complete the install."

We are getting another DL360 and a DL380 (and I'll have more time) so
I plan to explore this in more detail so I can open bugs with the d-i
team.

d-i is very nice!

  Quando omni flunkus moritati.
          -- Possum Lodge Motto