(Large) Logical Volume Management

Hail folks.

I've to set up an ~1TB SAN on our network. We're thinking about recycling
an existing server with an HP SmartArray 641 RAID Controller and expanding
it with another SA641 controller and some more disks, or directly
purchasing an HP fiber Storage Area Network.
In both cases I'll have to create a unique logical volume, and I'm
wondering which logical volume manager to use. The machine will be a
production system, it must be stable and reliable, fairly fast in disks
access, and I'd like to run a 2.6 kernel on it. Lately I've used EVMS on
some small systems and it left me well impressed; is it sufficiently
mature and stable to be used with good results on such a system? Are there
other _valid_ alternatives?

And, of course, I'll have to use a journaled filesystem on top of the
LVM. The average size of the files is about hundreds KiloBytes, seldom
reaching the whole MB. The directories hierarchy will be fixed and highly
structured, organized like this:

	/Year/
	  |__Month/
	      |__Day/
	          |__Hour/
		      |__Minute/

The number of stored files will be about 1,5 millions, and the estimated
access rate will remain lower than 1,000 access/sec, with 30% write and
70% read.
I've played for so long with ext3 and XFS filesystems, but both seems to
have efficiency problems with setups like this. May someone give me some
advices about the filesystem choice? Could ReiserFS be a valid solution?
Should I consider other filesystems?

Thanks to all.
Greetings.

--