Re: qmail or postfix? (was: RE: What is the best mailling list manager for qmail and Domain Tech. Control ?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Sanders" <cas@taz.net.au>
To: "Bj?rnar Bj?rgum Larsen" <bjornar.bjorgum.larsen@ementor.no>
Cc: <debian-isp@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 11:13 PM
Subject: Re: qmail or postfix? (was: RE: What is the best mailling list
manager for qmail and Domain Tech. Control ?)

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:34:52PM +0100, Bj?rnar Bj?rgum Larsen wrote:
>
> 4. the configuration is truly bizarre.    bernstein has his own
non-standard
> directory structures, and a liking for many little files.  many of these
files
> are 'magical' - the contents are irrelevant, mere existence of them alters
> behaviour of the program, and even causes programs to be run
automagically.

> this makes it impossible to experiment by temporarily commenting out
particular
> lines - you have to delete a file, and then hope you can remember what it
was
> called if you need to re-enable that feature.

I deseagree on that. I've found qmail's config file a lot more efficient
than
one stupid unic file, and most of the time the only files you have to modify
are thoses (read it as "file: content". In this example, one and only
mailbox
is configurated for joe@domain.com.

has one unic row:
------------------
/var/qmail/control/me:  hostname.domain.com

one line per domains:
---------------------
/var/qmail/control/rcpthosts:  domain.com
/var/qmail/control/virtualdomains: domain.com:domain-com

one line per mailbox:
---------------------
/var/qmail/users/assign: =domain-com-joe:nobody:888:888:path:::
/etc/poppasswd: pop_login:crypted_password:real_login:path

I use /etc/poppasswd for popauth instead of /etc/passwd (using
checklocalpwd password check replacement from Jedi) when I don't
want to use SQL...

I think it's clear, simple, and efficient. If you want to keep backups,
then tar the /var/qmail/control folder and it's done...

Can someone write here an easy understandable configuration for
Postfix with virtual domains ? After some call for help here, none of
you that know Posfix did it...

> 5. bernstein likes to reinvent the wheel.  he does this (and does it
badly)
> without regard to whether the wheel actually needs to be reinvented or not
> (e.g. ucspi-tcp).
>
> this is compounded by the fact that it is a complete PITA to use any of
his
> programs without using all of his programs.

I deseagree a lot on that also. Bernstein has coded ucspi-tcp as a
replacement
for the standard tcp program. He has the rights to do so, and you have the
rights not to use it if you like inetd...

His code is not well commented, maybe a bit hard to read for non-unix gurus,
it's true. But it ends to very a short code, that focus on staying on unix
style,
eg modular, and reusing existing tools. If you want to have a quick idea of
what I'm talking about, have a look at qmail-pop3d.c and you'll understand
what it is all about.

I've done mysqmail, a bunch of 3 binaries for having pop3 auth using mysql,
and smtp + pop3 traffic accounted by domains in mySQL database. See:
http://www.gplhost.com/?rub=softwares&sousrub=mysqmail

For example, Bernstein uses his own "puts()" function that is NOT the real
unix
puts() function. The if you want to use the real unix puts(), patching means
renaming his puts() into puts2() or something...

This does not mean at all it's not well written. It's hard to read, but the
resulting
code seams to be efficient when you see the C code.

On the counter part, I agree totaly on the fact that qmail should include
all
the add-ons made by lot's of people, like one of thoses dozens of pop
alternative authentification.

> ps: as for postfix being better - it is:
>
> 1. free software, with a real free software license (IBM public license)
> 2. actively developed, with a friendly principal developer and helpful
> developer & user community.
> 3. backwards compatible with sendmail, so migration is easy
> 4. secure
> 5. fast (much faster than qmail)
> 6. the best anti-spam features of any MTA available
> 7. more features than you can poke a stick at

For sure, I'll spend more time on Postfix soon... :)

Best regards,

    Thomas GOIRAND

Get a hosting account: http://gplhost.com
GPL.Host: Open source hosting worldwide