Re: Starting isp and going to use Debian

Nicolas Rueff wrote:
Ainsi parla Chris Hoover le 52ème jour de l'an 2004:

Me and some friends are looking into starting a local isp.  My friends
are networking experts with some linux experience and I am the linux
expert with some networking experience.

Anyway, my question is what software do most of you use?  Obviously,
we have decided to use Debian for our base os.  However, what do most
of you use for:

1. Webmail

Imp. Works well. Really.

2. Imap/pop access

Courier, definitely. Virtual-user based conf.

3. User management

LDAP.

5. Drive usage control (i.e. user only get 10M for mail and 15M for
web)

Quota.

Any other advice sould be appreciated.

MTA: Postfix.

 I'll second his opinion on every point.

And add the secure version of every protocol you offer, either natively or via stunnel.

Plus, it may be good to have reiserfs and some sort of volume management layer (ie. LVM) preferably on hardware raid, to quickly increase (and maybe decrease?) storage on the boxes if needed, as well as as for allowing online hotswapping of damaged hard disks. This will increase the time the service goes uninterrupted and may even aid in structuring some service level agreements with your clients.

 Jose

PS
please reply to the list