Re: Starting isp and going to use Debian

Chris Hoover wrote:

> Anyway, my question is what software do most of you use?  Obviously, we have
> decided to use Debian for our base os.  However, what do most of you use
> for:
>
> 1. Webmail

I use IMP (part of Horde, http://www.horde.org/).  It's not the best,
but it turned out to be the best for us.  A lot of other people are happy
with SquirrelMail and OpenWebMail.

> 2. Imap/pop access

Courier.  All our mail is virtual mailboxes, and courier handles that
beautifully.  (Before we were using gnu pop3d, which I felt was
mediocre, and doesn't support IMAP.)

> 3. User management

Custom-written perl scripts.

> 4. Accounting/Finances

Our business guy uses various Windows products like Quickbooks and
Peachtree and that sort of thing.  I don't know.

You mentioned, from the people that are starting out a bunch of
techies.  I cannot stress enough the fact that you should have someone
with business experience who can consult you.  Get a good attorney,
a good accountant, and make friends with some local business owners.
Read books on stuff that you may or may not think is important like
accounting, marketing, sales, business operations.  It's critical.
Write a business plan, all that sort of stuff.

> 5. Drive usage control (i.e. user only get 10M for mail and 15M for web)

I don't like quotatools, but they work.  We don't have hard quotas, we
have an hourly perl script which checks drive usage and sends reports.

Good luck!

-Ed