Re: Starting isp and going to use Debian

Hello,
I work for a school (which is not technically an isp, but since we have 4 T1s and several hundred users, many things will overlap).

Chris Hoover wrote:
Me and some friends are looking into starting a local isp.  My friends are
networking experts with some linux experience and I am the linux expert with
some networking experience.

Anyway, my question is what software do most of you use?  Obviously, we have
decided to use Debian for our base os.  However, what do most of you use
for:

1. Webmail

squirrelmail

2. Imap/pop access

courier

3. User management

LDAP (with a lot of "glue" we've coded up in php and python)

4. Accounting/Finances

not my baliwick unfortunately (and i'm pretty sure we don't make use of any specific free apps)

5. Drive usage control (i.e. user only get 10M for mail and 15M for web)

We have quotas implemented on the web and mail servers. This is a daily task though (raising quotas of people who've exceeded their default)

Any other advice sould be appreciated.

Chris

Getting pam-ldap to work is really what you want (and of course understanding LDAP enough to manage (populate, administer, prune) the directory where all account info lives).

	good luck to you and your friends,
		~c