Re: Imap && imap-ssl && pop3-ssl

Jonathan Matthews wrote:
[Sorry for the cross-post - I think it's applicable to both -isp and -user.]

I need to offer imap, imapssl and pop3ssl services. FWIW, imap would be localhost only, but -ssl services would be publically accessible.

My reading thus far leads me towards Courier-imap with Exim 4 backported to stable so I can interface with ClamAV, but feel free to point out something important that I've missed.

Do I need to have a different instance of the server running for each protocol? i.e. one listening on each port that the three services use as standard?

Is there a server that would do the job with just one instance listening on all three ports? Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to this? I'm thinking locking/concurrency/that-sorta-thing.

How do you deal with this situation? Are there any gotchas I need to know about? I'm guessing that using Maildirs will alleviate many of the problems that mboxes would create ...

Any pointers/suggestions/cluebats appreciated!

jc

What we run here, is standard uw-imap and popa3d, with stunnel. Works like a charm.

I know courier could handle everything with a single hand and half the overhead, maybe someday I'll migrate every mbox into maildir and set that up, but in the mean time, it does a pretty job.

 José

PS
 please reply to debian-isp