Re: Woody on Proliant ML350 G3 (smartarray 641)

Am Mi, den 11.02.2004 schrieb Emmanuel Halbwachs um 20:12:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I've just suscribed to the list after discovering it recently. I'm
> not strictly an ISP, but I provide various services for 150-200 users.
>
> I would like to run woody on HP Compaq Proliant ML350 G3 (no choice of
> the model because of public market reasons). Before buying some
> machines, I would like to check if woody can be installed
> on. Actually, colleagues of mine own some (running FreeBSD) and
> proposed me to try to install woody on one box. The hardware is :
>
>    raid controller : smartarray 641
>    ethernet NIC : BCM5702 (subsystem : NC7760)
>
> This will be my first woody install on raid hardware, so I'm
> inexperienced.
>
> Colleagues told me that woody install fails due to "old" kernel
> 2.4.18-bf24 which doesn't include recent modules for the raid (cciss)
> and the NIC (tg3 seems better than bcm5700). I've searched the list
> archive but I didn't really find an answer.

I don't know for sure about the RAID controller [1] but to get the NIC
in a ProLiant DL380G3 (a BMC57xx too) working I compiled the driver from
Broadcom against a 2.4.18-bf24 source. This way I get modules which can
be used with the woody bf24 kernel so I can setup the system and
download a newer kernel to the system. Beginning with 2.4.19 you can use
the tg3.o module supplied by the kernel...

You can grab the compiled modules from my repository
(http://people.iirc.at/moswald/linux/bf24_modules/bcm5700/) or the
source directly from Broadcom (http://www.broadcom.com/drivers/)

[1] It may work with the cciss module just as the SmartArray 5i does -
but I read somewhere about a bug in the driver which wasn't fixed until
2.4.21.

best regards,
  Markus
--
Markus Oswald <moswald@iirc.at>  \ Unix and Network Administration
Graz, AUSTRIA                     \ High Availability / Cluster