Re: Debian and SAN support

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 21:06, Robin Vley wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:55:55 -0600, Alex Borges wrote:
>
> >Would anyone  be so kind as to point me to a link where this need may be
> >described? Because... through my limited knowledge, id nfs or samba the
> >damned share out of a server and off we go...:)...
> >
> >I have the feeling that would put a fast end in my career, so any help
> >in my apprenticeship would be appreciated (I am currently STFW for
> >cluster fs and such....more would be better thanks).
>
> I was actually thinking of building a fileserver running with a SCSI
> RAID5 array in it, and then just NFS the share out to a couple of
> webserver frontends. Anyone using such a solution, or am I overlooking
> something completely here? Round robin DNS, combined with a simple
> monitoring script that can take IP's out of the zonefile (short TTL).

Yes, a big one : NFS is non-atomic in it's writing...

A write action to the (NFS) disk can be interrupted (normal behaviour in
the NFS world). So when the software (even the disk driver) reports that
the data is written to the disk there is a possibilitiy that this is not
true....

--
JJ van Gorkum                             Knowledge Zone
If UNIX isn't the solution, you've got the wrong problem.