changing max privledged port from 1024

How do you allow non root users to bind to ports below 1024 ?

Alternatively, what iptables / tcpwrappers / xinetd / stunnel / magic
thing should I be looking at to forward port 995 to port 5432 ?

Our bandwidth provider (A university telcom dept) is filtering port 5432,
the postgres port. On the political front things are proceeding
slowly.

We'd like to bind postgress to port 995 (etc/sertices says: pop3
over SSL) as this port is unlikely to be closed and we're not
running pop3 over SSL on the database machine.

Postgresql does not run as root and hence cannot bind to port 995

A morning of google and man sysctl have given teases but no answers.