Re: I/O performance issues on 2.4.23 SMP system

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 16:49, Benjamin Sherman wrote:
> I have a server running dual 2.66Ghz Xeons and 4GB RAM, in a
> PenguinComputing Relion 230S system. It has a 3ware RAID card with 3
> 120GB SATA drives in RAID5. It is currently running Debian 3.0 w/
> vanilla kernel 2.4.23, HIGHMEM4G=y, HIGHIO=y, SMP=y, ACPI=y. I see the
> problem with APCI and HT turned off OR if I leave them on.

I don't know anything about thos 2.4.23 I/O problem, but I will tell you
that RAID 5 is not the way to go for big SQL performance. In a RAID 5
array, all the heads must move for every operation. You already spent a
lot of money on that server. I suggest you buy more disks for RAID 10.

--
Jeff