Re: Best Practices: CGI.pm & CSS2 ???

My two cents.

I agree that using a template driven system is much better than CGI.pm, especially if you are
using CSS. Whether you do a roll your own template processor or use HTML::Template, it works
to allow the design of the site to be separated from the function of it. I create some of the
worlds ugliest web sites, but I'm a pretty good Perl hacker. So, I build an functional, but
ugly, template, then give it to someone who has some artistic sense. They make it look pretty,
then I have a pretty and functional site.

I also use CSS, but mainly to make the site compatible across platforms. It really allows the
end user to see it in the way best for them. I try to stay away from positioning with CSS.
But, it rocks as far as make a site-wide look-and-feel. I usually test my stuff on Netscape,
Opera, Explorer and Lynx.

If you want to see a site that uses poor HTML/CSS, view http://www.buybordenmilk.com (it's a
site my company designed and we host, so I can slam it if I want). The designer did some good
stuff, but she also did absolute positioning with the CSS. Try it at 1280x1024. (We're getting
ready to do a re-write).

Rod