Apache and private hosts: link to proxy

Problem:
I have a machine that has its name, say www.small.net .
I wish to set on this machine some pages that can have either regular
links (when people go directly to the addressed links) OR
a sort of proxy link, where if for example someone ask
http://guest1.small.net/thispage.ext (where guest1 is cname that points
to www.small.net) it does not serve as virtual host, but just act as a
proxy to www.happy.org .
A sort of proxy, so requests for guest1 appears to come from
www.small.net ....
The optimal would be if in case of an error from www.happy.org
www.smal.net would try to act as a virtual host and try to serve the page
from its directory [hint: i cannot assume that www.happy.org would be
accessible at any time from the net, but i can assume that most of the
time can be reached from www.small.net. i CAN ask administrator of
www.happy.org collaboration, there are 8 domains that must be served
this way.
So a plain redirect is not ok since i cannot assume that www.happy.org
is accessible from outside (I could in theory assume it can call outside,
but i fear this option is unusable, since would require some twiggling
with clients, that are from general public)
It would be nice to have it working also for https on arbitrary ports  (of
course: for hosts and ports well defined in advance !)
Any idea ?

--
Leonardo Boselli
Nucleo Informatico e Telematico del Dipartimento Ingegneria Civile