Re: Apache clustering w/ load balancing and failover

On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 16:41, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 06:38:44PM +0200, S?bastien Lefebvre wrote:
> > >
> > You might want to use keepalived which includes a vrrp
> > implementation.  I'm running it on the clusters I set up :
> > http://keepalived.sourceforge.net/ I even use it on Netfilter
> > firewalls without any trouble (without the LVS support)
>
> Are there any good docs or howtos that describe how to do that?
> Setting up two web servers with vrrp/keepalived should be easy, but
> everything I looked at seemed intimately tied to LVS.

Did you take a look at the keepalived documentation?
http://keepalived.sourceforge.net/documentation.html

All you have to do is patch your kernel with LVS or use the appropriate
netfilter-ipvs-modules, compile and install keepalived and configure it
according to the documentation and/or your special requirements.

Now you can (should) test all possible failover scenarios with your
balancer-cluster and check if the real-server are added and removed from
the pool correctly.

A web server itself doesn't need any special configuration at all (well,
maybe a little routing/firewalling if you choose to use direct-routing
or tunneling instead of NAT behind your balancer) and can be integrated
in the cluster within a few minutes.

best regards,
  Markus
--
Markus Oswald <moswald@iirc.at>  \ Unix and Network Administration
Graz, AUSTRIA                     \ High Availability / Cluster