RE: Apache clustering w/ load balancing and failover

Shri Shrikumar wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 08:50, Markus Oswald wrote:
> > Personally I would suggest LVS / keepalived - IMHO it's the
> most robust
> > and powerful solution you can currently get. Definitely
> worth a look...
> >
> > It's not as hard to setup as you think - you need a little bit of
> > experience for planing your cluster setup, but the software
> installation
> > and configuration is probably the easier part.
> >
> > I installed/run multiple clusters, some with quite a lot of traffic
> > (well, that's what load-balancing is good for) some just
> needed the HA
> > features. No serious problems with keepalived and no problems at all
> > with LVS.

Full ACK. Same here. Runs like a charm for > 2 years.

> Looking at the documentation for LVS, it mentions that it needs two
> nodes, a primary node and a backup node which then feeds into n real
> servers.
>
> Does this mean that I will need two additional machines to be
> able to do
> LVS or would I be able to double up a couple of the webservers as the
> nodes ?

You need at least 2 servers, and one director (balancer). In this setup, the
director is a SPOF, so running with redundant directors makes sense.
Most of our customers started with one director, and upgraded to the second
within 3-4 months (when budget permitted or they had the first director
failure).

Thomas