Re: ip aliasing and second default gw in /etc/network/interfaces

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 01:23:58AM -0700, Peter Nome wrote:
*snip*

> My situation is that I have two subnets, each of which have their own DSL gateway, and I'd
> like the subnet machines (selectively) to be able to talk to each other and to have the other
> DSL router as a fallback when it turns out that one of the ISPs is running Windows and gets
> taken out by viruses.

Failing over routes is not something I've played with; I think you'll need
iproute, or maybe even some user-space software to keep track.  Maybe someone
else knows better.

*snip*

> I realize this question sounds silly, since I should just put it in interfaces in the same way I
> put the primary address and gateway, like this:
>
> iface eth0:1 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.71
>         gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> But it doesn't do the trick -- this is disregarded. If I enter it as above from bash, it always works.

Did you include the line "auto eth0:1" before this, or try running
"ifup eth0:1" ?  AIUI you'll need the auto flag to have an interface brought
up at boot time.

Otherwise I think this looks okay...

HTH,

 - Keegan