Trouble with ftp upload of index_html into plone site- debian zope package specific?

I'm still trying to upload index_html documents into newly created plone
directories. I've since purged and reinstalled all of zope and plone
including the database, my last attempt was to install plone from tar, but
still no luck.

from my earlier post:

Any other id works as expected (for example index2_html), renaming to
index_html and overwriting existing index_html documents works as well.

This problem only occurs in Plone sites, in a new CMF site or in Zope it
works.

error_log from ZMI:
Traceback (innermost last):
   Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 98, in publish Module
   ZPublisher.mapply, line 88, in mapply Module ZPublisher.Publish, line
   39, in call_object Module webdav.Resource, line 183, in PUT
Method Not Allowed: Method not supported for this resource.

The document PUT seems to get ignored for index_html ids, and the webdav
dummy sends its message. Appears as '226 Error Creating File' in gftp.

My System (debian unstable):

ii  zope           2.6.1-10
ii  zope-cmf       1.3.1-4
ii  zope-cmfcalend 1.3.1-4
ii  zope-cmfcore   1.3.1-4
ii  zope-cmfdefaul 1.3.1-4
ii  zope-cmftopic  1.3.1-4
ii  zope-cmfworkfl 0.4.2-3
ii  zope-devguide  20011206-3
ii  zope-formulato 1.3.1-2
ii  zopeedit       0.7-1

plus CMFPlone-1.0.3 from the plone.org tar or - earlier- the corresponding
deb package (1.0.3-3).

There were other posts about this earlier in the plone.user mailinglist,
but no mnetion of debian there.

Gabriel Wicke