RE: PHP 4.3?

Tomàs Núñez Lirola wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why Debian php is still at version 4.2.3
> while official PHP
> is at version 4.3.2 (4.3.3RC1)? Is there any reason not to
> upgrade to 4.3.2?

The maintainers seem to be busy re-debianizing the whole package, trying to
sort out all SSL and/or kerberos versioning related problems that
cause/caused various apache crashes, perhaps coming from different third
party libraries (like imap and snmp).

There even was a bug filed today re this, and me (and I bet others) are now
independently maintaining private php packages. I posted a link to my diffs
some weeks ago, but got no replys even if they got downloaded several times
_and_ had problems (at least with the imap stuff).

My offer for help got no reply from Adam Conrad (official maintainer), and
only a short "we're busy, be patient. no, we don't want/need help" from
Steve Langasek, who seems to be the inofficial co-maintainer these days.

I can say nothing than "compile you own", as 4.3.x IMHO adds some really
useful bits, while fixing loads of bugs. I'll post an updated URL to my
diffs as soon as I have these IMAP/Kerberos thing worked out (working on my
development machine, but not on another - strange).

Thomas