Re: Bind "Inappropriate ioctl for device" error

David Clarke <david.clarke@iconz.net> wrote:
> I'm getting the following errors in my logs:
>
> Jul  3 12:03:46 dns named-xfer[1200]: can't make tmpfile
> (slave/genericdomain.com.ChB1Ca): Inappropriate ioctl for device

I got the same error first, but after I created the subdirectory manually
(in your case "slave") in /var/cache/bind/, it worked fine.

> Bind (8.3.3-2.0woody) has write access to the directory (I've
> deliberately broken it to check and it spews a different error
> message).

I don't know exactly which directory you are referring to,
/var/cache/bind/ or /var/cache/bind/slave/. If it's the first, I guess
it's the same problem as I had.

Hope this helps.

/Tomas