building 2.4.21 with make-kpkg (woody)

Hi,

I've got a copule of woody systems and am trying to build a stock(i.e.
from kernel.org) 2.4.21 kernel for one of them on the other (both are
currently running 2.2 - but that shouldn't matter, right?).

No  matter what I try, I always get "cramfs: wrong magic" and a panic when
it's unable to mount the root device (3:3 - hda3 (which is my real root)).

Things I've tried include:

* initrd with cramfs.
* initrd with romfs (had to increase size of ramdisk for this one).
* not passing the --initrd arg to make-kpkg (Hmmm... does that imply the
  kernel should have been configured without CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD?).

Of possible relevance is that when installing a kernel .deb which was
built with --initrd the installation dialog does not report a size for the
initrd.

I'm not fussed if the end result does or doesn't use an initrd - just that
it works ;-)

Any pointers to the right magic for overcoming this would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Neale.