Default Apache 404 for all sites

Hi All,

While not specifically Debian, I'm sure you guys figured this one out ages
ago.....

In Apache, I know you can set ErrorDocument 404 /404.html or similar in a
per-site context, but do you know if a standard one can be used to replace
the Apache one?

That way, one wouldn't need to dump a whole bunch of 404.html files into
each public_html, and it'd work instantly across all sites. AND if a user
setup their own .htaccess and override the default 404, it would work (ie.
use their own 404 page).

I was hoping there would be a way to load up a 404.html from the
filesystem, so something like
ErrorDocument 404 /home/default/404.html
could be done for all sites as a default... or at least some sort of
workaround.

Do you guys have some better method or idea, rather than copying the
404.html webpage into all the sites?

Thanks in advance.

Jas