Re: Automatic DNS for dynamic clients?

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 06:57:54AM -0400, Splash Tekalal wrote:
> At current, Mephitsune manages DNS for *.dreamchaos.net, and I want to get
> horde.dreamchaos.net to point at Horde..
>
> My question is, is there something I can setup between the two machines
> that will have Horde automatically report it's IP to Mephitsune on a
> schedule, then Mephitsune update the zone file and reload DNS?
>
> Any suggestions on this would be greatly helpful.. Thanks!
>
> - Aaron

I use dyndns.org.
They offer a free dynamic dns service, and has been very stable for the
last couple of years.
You could register horde.dyndns.org, and run ddclient (wich is in
stable) to update dyndns's servers.
Then have a CNAME record for horde.dreamchaos.net pointing to
horde.dyndns.org.
There might be security issues with this setup, but my ADSL provider
only changes my ip when i reset my router. So the chance of takeover is
rather small.

--
Frode Haugsgjerd
Norway