Re: Server hacked - next...?

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 03:07, Jason Lim wrote:
> What would the advantage of mounting /tmp with noexec be??

You wont be able to execute anything that is in /tmp. This would of
have prevented your attach altogether since the file was being executed
from /tmp.

> Definitely looking into running a hardend kernel now... especially after
> all this crap. Only thing that's been holding me back is the amount of
> work it would entail.....

The first thing I did for the server is to remove module support. This
renders quite a few of the exploits useless. It might be a stopgap
solution until you get the hardened kernels deployed.

HTH,

Shri

Shri Shrikumar       U R Byte Solutions           Tel:   0845 644 4745
I.T. Consultant	     Edinburgh, Scotland          Mob:   0773 980 3499
                     Web: www.urbyte.com          Email: shri@urbyte.com