Re: mysql admin user problem

I have had a similar problem some time ago, too. I succeded by purging*
the mysql-packages before reinstalling them.

The reason why you can't stop the mysql-server is obvious:
The debian-sys-maint user can't login so the init-script which utilizes
this mysql-user can't shutdown the server.

* "apt-get --purge remove mysql-server mysql-common"
(I don't know if it's necessary to remove mysql-common, too)