Re: 1 or more network cards

At 10Mbps, having a few ethernet cards will speed up your transfers, but it woud be easier to use 100Mbps instead. If your upstream is only 10Mbps, and you're pushing 10Mbps, having multiple ethernet cards won't help too much.

If you were really wanting to use more than one card, I would suggest reading the "ifenslave" man page. ifenslave will allow you to bind two or more ethernet cards together with the same ip address, effectively doubling your data rate.

-jason

Glenn Hocking wrote:

Hi All

Has anyone put any thought and testing whether it is better to have one network card with multiple IP assigned or 2-3 net cards with separate IP numbers.

Actual specs, The cards are all 10/100 Intel's connected to the net via a 10mb/s ethernet with direct public IPs. The secondary IPs are private local addresses for local backup and maintenance.

My thoughts are that as network speed is not really an issue it may be better to have only the one net card to reduce points of failure. Reliability being more important here than speed.

I would also expect that the system would be doing a lot more dma/irq and OS switching with the extra PCI network cards.

Does anyone have any similar experience or thoughts that may help with a decision to install second network cards or not.

Kind regards
Glenn Hocking
Publish Media Pty Ltd
http://www.sitegeneral.com/