Re: kerberos

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 02:26 am, tech@bishop.dhs.org wrote:
> I'm trying to kerborize my setup, and am fairly certain that I have
> the "basics" done (after only 5 hours! I can't understand why *more*
> people don't do this! argh).

re:  "(after only 5 hours! I can't understand why *more*
> people don't do this! argh)"

I can tell we have different viewpoints, or you are kidding.

My viewpoint is that I want Linux to be used by everyone, to be
effective competition to Microsoft.  If it "only" takes 5 hours (per
machine) to set up kerberos, we've got a disconnect.  (If you are
administering a network, the 5 hours might be per network rather than
per machine (or 5 hours plus a small increment per machine), but, on
the other hand, 5 hours of your time may translate to 250 hours (or
more) of a newbie's time.

(I don't know much about kerberos, maybe it is even applicable to a
single user "at home"?)

I don't have a solution to the problem, but I do contribute to a TWiki
site named WikiLearn -- I encourage you to contribute whatever you've
learned about kerberos to a page (or pages) there.  It should help the
next person somewhat no matter how rough it may be.  And:
   * The next person can fix the rough spots he finds
   * And eventually, someone in the right position (a developer or
package maintainer) may look at that page, see what the rough spots
have been, and fix or clarify things appropriately.  (Maybe a future
kerberos package would ask a few questions and then do everything for
the user.)

Anyway, I'm sure you know all this.  I just wanted to make a pitch for
storing your 5  (to 250+) hours worth of learning in an easily
accessible location, hopefully WikiLearn:

   * http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Wikilearn

regards,
Randy Kramer