Re: daily apache-ssl reload is causing probs (FIXED)

Howdy folks,

Well, I did some digging and found some answers.  I'm posting my
solution here in the event that others might find it useful.

first of all, there's a bug in woody's logrotate package.  Logrotate
will (might?) issue the postrotate command from any logrotate config (be
it daily, weekly or monthly) on a daily basis.  So, if you only expect
apache-ssl to get restarted (apache-sslctl restart or
/etc/init.d/apache-ssl restart) monthly with your monthly logrotate
config, think again.  it's probably happening every night.

Second, I figured out that although the debian apache-ssl script
(/etc/init.d/apache-ssl) would cause apache-ssl to choke on a reload,
using 'apache-sslctl graceful' which has the same effect of sending a
SIGUSR1 to the apache-ssl parent process does not appear to have the
same problem.  So far I've gone through several weeks of daily
apache-sslctl graceful's and one monthly logrotate without a single
problem with apache-ssl.  so, to be clear, all I did was replace
/etc/init.d/apache-ssl reload with /usr/sbin/apache-sslctl graceful in
the postrotate command in my logrotate config for apache-ssl.

I haven't investigated exactly why this change works, but I know that it
does, most likely.  I won't really be sure that it's trouble free until
it's been up for several months without incident, but after going down
every couple days, I feel like a few weeks is a pretty good indication
that the problem has been resolved.

hope someone finds this useful.

Dave