Courier & vpopmail

Hi Gurus!

Recently I installed a combination of Courier IMAP/POP, Sqwebmail and vpopmail on a Debian Woody server. I downloaded inofficial vpopmail packages for woody. I also built the several Courier and Courier-SSL packages from source after having changed the rules file to include "--with-authvchkpw". Everything seemed to work fine.

Unfortunately after having gone productive severe problems with POP3/IMAP authentification occured. Sometimes the login procedure worked, but very often it did not. At that time the authentification used courier-authdaemon.

I learnt from a posting on the vpopmail mailing list that Courier's authdaemon is not very stable and that authentification problems get solved when compiling Courier using "--without-authdaemon".

I tried that - but it initiated several new problems. Courier's build configuration script told me that "--without-authdaemon" needs "--without-ldap". So I tried that. Unfortunately everything got worse. My impression is that the Courier Debian package is not prepared for being built without LDAP or authdaemon. There are several dependencies between the several components of the Courier packages. I still try to figure them out.

My question is: Did anyone install Courier IMAP/POP, Sqwebmail and vpopmail on a Woody box? If yes: Do you use courier-authdaemon and if so, is vpopmail authentification working well? If you do not use courier-authdaemon, how did you get built Courier Debian packages without?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Bye
Dieter