Re: Cracking attempt

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:33, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 07:19:09AM +0100, Stefaan Teerlinck wrote:
> > There are also cheap ($100) NAT routers / "firewalls" available like
> > D-Link or Netgear if you don't need a speed > 10Mbps You'll have to
> > spend $100, but it won't consume you time, it takes a lot less space,
> > and it will consume a lot less electricity.
>
>    linux gives you a lot of flexibility that a cheap router just can't
>    provide.  IMO & IME, more flexibility than even a top-end commercial
>    router provides.

Also it should be noted that even IF your dedicated router device provides
exactly the same functionality as Linux for routing, it's still an extra
device you have to administer.  Remembering the syntax of both ipchains and
iptables for my regular Linux work is enough effort for me, I don't want to
memorise yet another set of configuration.

> c) i don't know about you, but i wouldn't be inclined to trust the
>    security of a $100 consumer-grade firewall.

I agree.  Use a PC running SE Linux instead.  ;)