MTU Issues

I know this isn't the place to be asking BSD questions, but on the off
chance that someone here can help me out on this..

Currently the gateway machine on our network in an old OpenBSD machine, as
soon as I can get some downtime I'm going to be moving it over to a debian
system, but that's beside the point.

My problem is that the BSD server frags packets out of existance if they
are more than about 1400, as far as I can tell the MTU on the incoming and
outgoing interfaces are set to 1500, but I have never dealt with a BSD
system before, so I'm not too familiar with configurations etc on the
machine.

If anyone could spread some light on this issue it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

--
Freedom is just chaos with better lighting.