Re: postfix oddities.... 220 *******

On vr, 2003-01-10 at 14:45, Roger Abrahamsson wrote:

> Currently trying to set up a test postfix server with smtp auth, with
> sasl and tls. Got everything working eventually, at least from
> localhost. I can login, authenticate with plaintext etc.
> However, when trying to access that server from a host not in
> "mynetworks" it echos a funny 220 header like this:
>

> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 ****************************

PIX firewall ??

> if I then try a ehlo like:
>
> ehlo localhost
>
> I get:
> 502 Error: command not implemented

PIX firewalls don't know how to properly speak (e)smtp, and this causes
errors. Best way to fix this is on the PIX itself (make sure you have
the latest patches etc. and consider disabling the smtp fixup mode), but
as a workaround you could disable esmtp on the postfix box, by having
this in main.cf:
smtp_always_send_ehlo = no
smtp_never_send_ehlo = yes

--