Re: Intel Hyperthreading problem on server?

Hi,

 I just checked the kernel info for the memory support part:

│ If you are compiling a kernel which will never run on a machine with
│
  │ more than 960 megabytes of total physical RAM, answer "off" here
(defau │
  │ choice and suitable for most users). This will result in a "3GB/1GB"
│
  │ split: 3GB are mapped so that each process sees a 3GB virtual memory
│
  │ space and the remaining part of the 4GB virtual memory space is used
│
  │ by the kernel to permanently map as much physical memory as
│
  │ possible.
│
  │
│
  │ If the machine has between 1 and 4 Gigabytes physical RAM, then
│
  │ answer "4GB" here.
│
  │

I guess with 1.5Gb RAM you need to go with the 4Gb option... so that won't
work :-( and having just 960M RAM wouldn't work either...

> > Hi,
> >
> > Interesting info... especially the part:
> >
> > > Do you have high memory support compiled in ?
> > > High memory support above 4GB might cause problems.
> > >
> > > If you do not have more than 2GB of RAM you should make sure that
High

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/tips0175.html?Open

> > > My system:
> > >
> > > Linux tedsdesk 2.4.20 #22 SMP Mon Jul 21 14:53:07 EDT 2003 i686
> > > GNU/Linux
> > >
> > > ted@tedsdesk:cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > > processor       : 0
> > > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > > cpu family      : 15
> > > model           : 1
> > > model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz
> > > stepping        : 2
> > > cpu MHz         : 1495.172
> > > cache size      : 256 KB
> > > fdiv_bug        : no
> > > hlt_bug         : no
> > > f00f_bug        : no
> > > coma_bug        : no
> > > fpu             : yes
> > > fpu_exception   : yes
> > > cpuid level     : 2
> > > wp              : yes
> > > flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
pge
> > > mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
> > > bogomips        : 2981.88
> > >
> > > The ht in the flags section tells me hyper threading is being
> > recognized.

Hyper-threading
> > (eg.

> > the