3ware 8506-4 hangs while making filesystem

I'm guessing someone here would know about this, so here goes:

I'm installing a new system (P4C, intel mainboard, 1G RAM, 4x160GB SATA,
3ware 8506-4, raid 5) and the system freezes completely while formatting
a big partition ("unable to handle kernel paging request..." means
absolutely nothing to me).
I installed without the 3ware card on a single 160GB disk: no problem.
Right now I'm installing Redhat-9, it seemed ok but now I see big RED
alerts on my screen:

kernel BUG at buffer.c 559!
invalid operand: 0000
CPU: 0

Anyone experienced this with a 3ware card?

thanks, tinus