Re: high memory problems with imap

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:16, Theodore Knab <tjk@annapolislinux.org> wrote:
> I have a courier/postfix maildir IMAP mail server with 10GB of RAM.
>
> Occasionally, the memory gets all chewed up and it becomes unusable. I
> think it becoming unusable because of buffer bounces.
> However, the documentation tells me that the
> virtual memory allocation and bounce buffer problem was fixed in 2001.

My experience is that the problem you describe was occurring in the latest
2.4.x kernels in late 2002 and early 2003.

It is fixed in the Red Hat and SUSE kernel trees, at the time I had the
problem I used a SUSE kernel to fix it.  Today I would probably use a Red Hat
kernel instead.

For such things instead of trying to patch a Debian kernel source tree or a
kernel.org tree I recommend taking a working and tested kernel source tree
such as that from Red Hat (which also fixes other bugs that may affect you in
future).