Re: Mailscanner vs. amavis vs. other

Fraser Campbell wrote:

Hi,

We've had some experience with amavis over the last few years and while it generally works it has an a tendency to lose the occassional message or just continually requeue messages until their queue time expires and the message bounces. We're using amavisd-postfix.

I know there are also other variants of amavis such as amavis-ng that we could try. Has anyone compared amavis to mailscanner and come to a definite conclusion as to one being better. I know better is very subjective but I'd still like to hear opinions.

I'd like to eventually hook spam trapping into the filter (I think amavis-ng does that) as well.

Thanks!
We're using amavisd-new (in an LVS cluster), with clamav. It works fairly well, integrates spamassassin, and is able to fetch per user/per domain prefs from an LDAP or SQL DB. But it's kind of a resource hog, as every process eats about 20-25 MB after running a while. But I've yet to stumble into a better solution.

Thomas