NIS user audit?

Hi :)

Whilst I appreciate 'ISP' isn't quite the right context for this query,
I feel the audience has enough of an overlap :)

I'm running NIS on woody with no problems at all in the auth / shadow
file, etc. but I'd like to be able to track when each user logs in and
out, (basically a computer-based timeclock).

I don't see any trace of the NIS server logging such data, and running
ruserd on each diskless workstation and polling the 'logged in users'
lost seems a little inelegant.

At this stage, I'm considering calling 'wget
http://10.0.0.254/cgi-bin/login.cgi?username=<blah>' as part of their X
startup conf.. (and similar for logout)

Can anyone suggest a better way?

Cheers,