Re: CPU Utiliaztion on a ethernet bridge

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 16:46, Jeff S Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 21:42, Simon Allard wrote:
> > I have replaced NIC's as I thought it might of been the drives also. I
> > moved to the eepro100 cards. Same problem.
>
> You should be using NICs with a poll-based driver, as opposed to an
> interrupt-based driver. This will preempt the kernel less often, and
> allow it to service the NIC more efficiently.

Do you really mean poll-based, or DMA based? Traditionally polling is
evil CPU wise... but there could be reasons why polling is better if
that is the only thing you are doing. Possibly PC DMA is probably so old
and crappy that it's not worth using?

--
Donovan Baarda <abo@minkirri.apana.org.au>
http://minkirri.apana.org.au/~abo/