Packet Shaping

I'm pretty sure there's no simple answer to this question, but any help would be appreciated..

I have a mchine running Debian STABLE plugged in at a data center that gives me a lot more physical bandwidth than they do contract bandwidth.. For a while, mod_throttle installed on Apache was doing the trick to limit outgoing floods from users hosting large files, but it's just not cutting it any more..

I know Debian can do packet shaping and set up rules for types of packets to get priority and such, but I'm at a loss as to where to start on setting it up.

Thanks in advance!

-Aaron Goulding, Admin, Dreamchaos.net