Re: turn a firewall into a wireless access point?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 08:16:10AM -0500, Dale E Martin wrote:
> I was curious if there was software to turn my firewall into a wireless
> access point?   I've got a shorewall setup that has "net", "loc", and "dmz"
> zones.  My plan was to make a "dmzw" zone for the wireless.  I've got an
> Orinoco card + an ISA/PCMCIA adapter that I plan on using for the wireless
> connectivity.

To get access point functionality out of an Orinoco card, you'll need to
use a special driver with a non-free firmware.  You can find out about
those here:

http://hunz.org/hermesap.html

> I'm looking for ways to assign the "ESID", manage ACLs, WEP, etc, like you
> would on a standalone access point.  I realize even with these protections
> that the wireless setup will be easy to compromise - that's why I'm
> planning on making it part of a dmz.

Wireless interface control is done with 'iwconfig', included in the
'wireless-tools' package.  That will allow you to set basic things like
the ESSID and WEP key.  For ACL, you can use iptables, or you can
sometimes set special driver-specific options with 'iwpriv'.

Have fun!

 - Keegan