Hot-backup a complete Debian install

 Hi,

 I'd like to know which tools&methods do you prefer for backing up a
complete Linux install _in a production environment_, i.e., _without
having to shut down the machine or unmount partitions_. The machine
needs to be always alive and it will be remotely administered.

 I'd like to hear your opinion about the following idea.
1) I have LVM + ext3, with a distribution like:
linux:~# mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/rs/usr on /usr type ext3 (rw,nodev)
/dev/rs/var on /var type ext3 (rw,nodev,usrquota)
/dev/rs/tmp on /tmp type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota)
/dev/rs/www on /www type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota)
/dev/rs/ftp on /ftp type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota)
/dev/rs/mail on /mail type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,usrquota)
/dev/hda2 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
rs-hosting:~#

2) Root and boot partitions are not LVM based, but they're quite
static, since data and logs are stored in other partitions. Is it safe
to use "dump" here (keeping the partition mounted)?

3) All the "dynamic" partitions are LVM-based, so the idea is taking
one snapshot of each partition and use "dump" util over the snapshot?
Is it a good idea? Would it work?

Please, I'd like to receive comments / another ideas on this issue.
Thanks.

 Saludos,
 --Roman

--
PGP Fingerprint:
09BB EFCD 21ED 4E79 25FB  29E1 E47F 8A7D EAD5 6742