[support@backup.hmdc.harvard.edu: [hmdc.harvard.edu #4073] FYI: mon]

Some of you might find this one interesting.

In a world where IT security sometimes means keeping services out of
sight. Both Harvard and MIT advertise everything they have up and
running.

If I was a cracker running a DOS, I could use this information to
monitor the machines I knocked of the network. Additionally, this list
has all of the servers that both MIT and Harvard monitor in their data center.
The monitoring program being used is called mon. I use it and was
digging for info on the cgi interface that displays server info.

So, I thought I would warn them with this message:
FYI:

A google search on mon brings up your cgi interface for mon.
http://www.google.com/search?q=mon+dns&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&start=10&sa=N

[see second page link line six]

Your mon program is accessible by the world.

With a current world wide population of 6.3 billion you are inviting an
attack.
http://www.populationmedia.org/

Please lock down access to the following host:
http://mon.hmdc.harvard.edu/mon.cgi?command=query_opstatus_full

Here is the reply:
----- Forwarded message from Matthew Cox via RT <support@backup.hmdc.harvard.edu> -----