Re: Sendmail or Qmail ? ..

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 06:51:41PM -0800, W.D. McKinney wrote:
>On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 04:58, Eric Sproul wrote:

>> Sendmail's milter plug-in system has also been invaluable when we
>> implemented server-side bayesian spam filtering, and as we work on virus
>> scanning.
>>

>qmail being modular has the capability of performing this also.

Yeah, qmail is modular, but that doesn't mean you can do a milter,
accept with some (not really) fourth coming patch from hell.

The whole concept of milter is a different religion than qmail. Say you
want to use a cluster to virus/spam filter (oh, been said), a sendmail
milter would pipe the message off to the load balancer, and the "milter"
would receive it back into the sendmail process. Sending a message out for
processing and dropping it back in the queue is really not the qmail
way. With qmail you might accept mail to a cluster of relays (eg via
dns round robin) which (by say smtproutes) deliver to destination(s)
(configured to only accept mail from the cluster) after processing. qmtp
might speed things up on your private network. -- Do-able but nothing
like a milter.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027    <IXOYE><
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org